Sunday, 31 October 2010
Saturday, 30 October 2010
... on the plywood between the ground and first floor bales. We are using this to help the clay render adhere to the timber.
An aerial photo recently sold to us, taken on 9th August. A good overview of the site, bungalow and straw house (and strawbale stack)!
Friday, 29 October 2010
Day 199 - Steel bars fitted to roof
Wednesday, 27 October 2010
Tuesday, 26 October 2010
Monday, 25 October 2010
Sunday, 24 October 2010
Saturday, 23 October 2010
Top course of bales almost complete on south elevation. All the third course of bales now compressed with the permanent white straps fitted.
Friday, 22 October 2010
Wednesday, 20 October 2010
Day 190 - First bars fitted on the roof
Blocks beyond ply roof deck fitted along with the first steel bars and brackets. The corrugated roof sheet will be fixed to these bars.
Tuesday, 19 October 2010
Sunday, 17 October 2010
Before progressing the third course of bales we hung the plywood from the rafters, which will close off the top of the bales (very similar to the ground floor straw)...
When we start the second coat of clay render, the mix is to include chopped straw to help bind the straw together and give it tensile strength. As part of our research into the best way to chop straw we tried a garden shredder. This did make a bit of difference but the straw wasn't as fine as we had hoped. Sending the straw through multiple times did not make a lot of difference.
Saturday, 16 October 2010
Straw walls progressing well on the first floor - almost all the way round with 2 courses of bales now.
It worked really well - leaving a perfect 150mm diameter hole! Who said you couldn't be precise with straw!!
We drilled a hole through the pipe at one end and inserted a wooden pole to make a handle. We then started cutting the hole through the straw wall, by rotating it back and forth.
Before we can complete the clay render on the ground floor we need to put the ventilation and extract ducts through the external straw wall. We fashioned a 'homemade' cutting device out of a piece of steel 150mm duct (the same diameter as the ventilation duct we wanted to use) by cutting ferocious looking teeth in it!
Wednesday, 13 October 2010
Monday, 11 October 2010
The cedar truss begining to stand out against the grey rafters (they still need another coat...). (we apologise for the messy tarps casually strewn around!)
Sunday, 10 October 2010
More progress on the first floor straw walls.
We also made progress on the ground floor clay slip coat.
Saturday, 9 October 2010
Day 179 - FF straw walls begun
We also started to paint the rafter feet, as these will be exposed. We decided on a silver grey oil (Dane Oil) as this will blend with the aluminium roof sheet they will be seen against. The idea of the aluminium roof sheet was to look quite agricultural as a contrast to the more uniform finished appearance the cedar cladding will have. We wanted the rafter feet to look more textured and rough, so they formed part of the roof aesthetic.
The walls are going to be built up with two courses of bales, then a ladder (which is then compressed and tied down), then another course of bales and another ladder (again compressed and tied down) and then a cut bale at the top. This follows the same principle as the ground floor, but is just one course of bales less.
Friday, 8 October 2010
Day 178 - all composite windows in!
The full height (opaque) stair window is now in! This window had to be made in two pieces, so unfortunately we ended up with a double frame in the middle.
This completes the installation of the composite windows and door. The aluminium sliding doors and front door are yet to be fitted (and might be a little while).
Thursday, 7 October 2010
Wednesday, 6 October 2010
Day 176 - fitting of widows begun
Three ground floor windows, and two first floor windows fitted.
Clay slip coat completed round to half way along south elevation - GF now about 50% complete.
Sunday, 3 October 2010
Day 173 - Clay slip coat begun
Any gaps in the wall are stuffed with a mixture of clay slip and loose straw to ensure the building is as air tight as possible. The clay slip coat is then worked into the straw walls about 25mm (1 inch).
Lime & hemp insulation (in first floor joist zone of external walls) complete and first floor straw soleplate drilled for hazel stubs.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)