Saturday, 6 October 2012

At last we have started plastering!  We are starting with lime plaster - premixed from Mike Wye 3/2 mix, which is what we used for the test many months ago now.

The corner beads and stop beads are fitted, ready for the plaster.

Unfortunately it hasn't started as smoothly as we had hoped!  Despite the test being successful back in May we are finding that the lime plaster is going off very unevenly on the boards and the time taken to go off varies massively from board to board.  It is particularly bad around the beads.  This makes it difficult to trowel the plaster off and difficult to judge how much to put on, as it would be a disaster if it all went off at the same time and couldn't all be finished properly.

The first finished room looks good and feels really silky.  We are working with our plasterer to find a way to make the job quicker and easier.  He has tried adding more fat lime putty to the mix, which has helped a bit.

No comments: