Thursday, 31 March 2011

The frames for the sliding doors were fitted today.  These are bedded on a lime mortar (NHL5, mix 3:1).

When we ordered the windows we asked for them to be 12.5mm smaller than the structural opening on all sides, so the windows were overall 25mm narrower and 25mm shorter than the hole they were fitting into.  When we ordered the doors we were advised that 5mm on all sides, so 10mm overall was sufficient.  However, while the frames do fit within the opening, the gaps on some of the sides are now very small, once the frames have been squared up.  This is going to make it much harder to adequately seal the gaps against weather and achieve a satisfactory airtightness and thermal performance.

No comments: